Altar flowers are provided by the congregation on a weekly basis. The sign-up poster is located in the hallway behind the church offices. If you wish to share the day with someone else, sign just half the line, with the understanding if no one co-signs, you are responsible for the total cost, and fill out the Altar Flowers Form located in the manila envelope hanging under the sign-up poster. Two bouquets are currently $30.00.
The flower chair will call you prior to your date (if you do not fill out the form provided and return to her) to determine your bulletin information and flower color. Checks need to be made out to Calvary Lutheran Church, with altar flowers in the memo line, and mailed to the office or placed in the offering plate at least one (1) week prior to the date your flowers are on the altar.
The flowers will be removed from the altar by a deacon and placed near the front door, in a coffee can, for you to take home. The liners are not to be removed from church because we need them for next week’s flowers.
These people take care of the church’s linens, robes, paraments, altar flowers, and candles and sanctuary lamps. Please call chairperson, Sharon Meyer at 665-3420 if you would be interested in joining them. To help with altar flowers please call Carrie Lou Linnemeier at 665-2744.
This group creates beautiful and diverse banners displayed in our sanctuary and around the church. They would love to have new people join them. Please call Joyce Brames at 475-5586 or Connie Downey at 665-7141.
- The bulletin deadline is Tuesday at 3:00 p.m.
- Any changes to the worship section of the bulletin, everything between Prelude and Dismissal, must be approved and communicated by the Pastor.
- All bulletin notices may be edited or omitted due to the limited space available.
- Bulletin folding is Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. (subject to change).
Calvary Women of the ELCA
As a community of women
Created in the image of God,
Called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and
Empowered by the Holy Spirit,
We commit ourselves to
Grow in faith
Affirm our gifts,
Support one another in our callings,
Engage in ministry and action, and
Promote healing and wholeness
In the church, the society, and the world.
The mission of the women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is to mobilize women to act boldly on their faith in Jesus Christ.
The Women’s Organization at Calvary carries out its purpose in three intentionally interdependent and over lapping mission areas. They unite us in one mission, namely, that of being called and sent to proclaim God’s grace throughout the world.
Each woman is strengthened, developed, and equipped for ministry through various learning opportunities. We subscribe to “GATHER magazine,” share the stories of faith written there and participate in the monthly Bible study. We participate in retreats and provide various educational programs for our congregation and community. We host an annual Thankoffering Service and Program for an interdenominational group of churchwomen within a 40-mile radius of Calvary.
Each woman learns to value herself and others as created in God’s image and redeemed through Christ, celebrating global, diverse, and interdependent relationships as a part of the “community of women.”
Each woman proclaims and acts out her faith as a disciple to advocate for justice throughout the world. We strive to provide opportunities for spiritual growth throughout our membership and in our community.
“I was hungry and you fed me. I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was homeless and you gave me a room. I was shivering and you gave me clothes. I was sick and you stopped to visit. I was in prison and you came to me.” Matthew 25: 35-36
Women of the Calvary General Board meet as needed. In 2012, we have scheduled the following meetings: February 14, May 1, Sept 4 and December 4. We will meet at 2:00 or as advertised. The General Board consists of the Executive Board and the Circle chairs.
The choir sings every third (3rd) Sunday of the month with choir practice at 6:30 p.m. on the Thursday prior to that Sunday. The choir sings from September through May and all are welcome. Please speak with Nancy Siebold if you would like to add your voice to Calvary’s choir. Currently, Calvary does not have an active choir. If you are interested in joining a choir, please let Pastor Daryl know.
Church Council Minutes
Calvary Lutheran Church conducts its church council meetings on the third (3rd) Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. Meeting minutes are available in binders on the table in the Narthex. Copies of the church council minutes will be available on request.
To maintain a safe environment along with a minimum amount of inconvenience, all Calvary members have the following responsibilities:
- All event leaders will have the responsibility to see that doors are open a reasonable time before the scheduled event.
- If the event is not during office hours the leaders should arrange to have the doors unlocked for the event.
- If possible, hold your event close to an outside door so that late comers can simply knock on the door. If this is not possible, there is a portable doorbell available in the church office to use. Please request it from the administrative assistant prior to the day of the event.
- The door should not be propped open except to carry in supplies, food, etc. While items are being carried in, the door shouldnever be unattended when children’s activities are in session.
Church Council will designate at least one church-wide clean up day per year. The dates and times will be announced in the Sunday Bulletins and Calvary Chronicle newsletters. All Calvary members are asked to help during these days.
Calvary’s WELCA will organize two annual kitchen clean up days. The exact dates will be announced in the Sunday Bulletins, along with a list of needs. All church members are invited to help.
- For church members or immediate family: lunch will be served at church for the family and guests, if desired. Please give Pastor an approximate number of guests.
- For memorial services or when a funeral has taken place elsewhere, a reception will be provided, if desired.
- These services will be provided by the women of Calvary and a donation would be appreciated.
|Estimated Number of People||Suggested Donation|
- Please empty and clean coffee pot after each use. Wash with dish soap and dry so they will be ready for the next event.
- Coffee recipes are on the inside cupboard door of the coffee and tea cupboard.
- A supply of garbage bags is on the labeled shelf in the storage room behind the kitchen. Please securely tie your garbage bags and place full bags in the storage room behind the kitchen.
- Cupboards and drawers are labeled as to where to find dishes, pots, pans, and utensils. Please put things back in the appropriate place.
- Thoroughly wash and dry countertops, stove tops, and sinks. If you use the oven, please wipe out any spills before they are baked on.
- Nothing should be left on the countertops except small coffee pots, the microwave oven, and glass cutting board/protector to the left of the sink.
- The freezer will have bags of ice in it to save energy. If you need the space, feel free to remove the ice and replace it after use.
- If you spill something on the floor, please wipe it up. We have janitor services that will mop the floors every week.
- Please do not leave anything in the refrigerator or cupboards unless it is labeled for your future use. If you regularly use the kitchen, label your items that will be left so others know that they should not help themselves to them. Anything not labeled is for everyone’s use.
- The kitchen committee will dispose of unlabeled leftovers as they clean. In some cases, the containers may also be disposed of (mold and mildew).
- Paper products that are left for general use will be labeled “general use.”
- Personal dishes should be marked with your name. Any dishes left after dinners will be left on the table at the back of the kitchen for one (1) week. After that, youmayfind them on the countertop in the storage room.
- Please do not leave dirty cups and silverware in the sink for the next person to clean. Always clean up after yourself so the kitchen is ready for the next group to use.
- There are ceiling clips in the labeled cupboard to hang things from the ceiling. Please do not use tape or pins.
- When you use dishtowels and cloths, please wash them and return them to the kitchen within one (1) week.
- Since so many groups are using the kitchen,nothing may be borrowedso as not to put a hardship on any group that is planning to use the kitchen.
We meet the first and second Tuesday of each month at 9:00 a.m. to sew for mission project, quilts, prayer shawls and other physical gifts that are sent around the world. We provide hats and mittens to area schoolchildren. Love Day is open to anyone who would like to help. Invite your neighbors, friends, and people from other churches to join us.
In 2015 we will be learning big block quilting patterns from the “Sewing with Nancy” series. This will include learning several methods of piecing together the larger quilt blocks.
We were excited to complete 104 quilts in 2015 for the LWR Mission Quilt Project. This was 26 more than we completed in 2014! Please join us and see what our mission work is all about. We also accept fabric donations and gently used blankets and comforters for use in our mission work.
Calvary Men’s Fellowship is open to all men – confirmed on up – who are members of the congregation. Guests are always welcome at our monthly meetings. We meet on the last Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. (except in the summer). Meetings usually include a devotional, project planning, friendship, and a few games of euchre.
We have been involved in service projects such as work at Camp Lake Luther and Turning Point Homeless Shelter, repair work at the church, and purchase of sheds for storage of pre-school and church items. The Fellowship holds a general breakfast after worship in fall and spring to benefit these special project selected by the Men’s Fellowship and a pre-Christmas breakfast to benefit Christmas Families. In the past, we have had a spring fish fry and plan to do so again. We would welcome all men from Calvary and their guests to come help plan service projects and just enjoy each other’s company.
The newsletter will be published four to six times a year. Deadlines for announcements/contributions will be published at least one week prior in the bulletin. Newsletter contributions may be edited or omitted due to the limited space available.
Prayer Chains are supported by each circle and may be started for you by calling the church office at 260-665-2516 or Linda Scheumann at 260-495-2312 (cell: 260-316-2674). We provide support in times of crisis, grief, or celebration.
- If you wish us to add someone to the prayer list or keep someone on it, you need to contact the church office and let us know how they are progressing.
- IMMEDIATE NEEDS: A name will stay on for 2 months & will then be removed if we do not receive an update. The other option is to move to long term needs.
- LONG TERM NEEDS: A name will stay on for 6 months and then will be removed if we have not received an update.
- If you would like a special notice put in the bulletin regarding a hospitalization, nursing home stay, or homebound member, please let the church office know.
Sewing Day is held the first Tuesday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. It is an extension of Love Day, providing pieced quilt tops for Love Day completion. It functions under the Co-Chairpersons of Love Day, Marge Reese and Virgene Sanders and the Women of the ELCA President, Linda Scheumann and her board. Judy Laflin is volunteering the instruction with the help of artist, published author, and quilter, Connie Downey, experienced quilt maker, Kathy Somers and Instructor Sue Tiller. There is no class fee. The group always welcomes fabric donations as well as gently used blankets and comforters.
Beginning in January of 2015, the group will be learning big block patterns from the “Sewing with Nancy” series. We will be learning several methods for piecing large block quilt tops.
This relaxed class is organized to use your time with optimum efficiency. The fabric belongs to Love Day and the completed tops will go back to Love Day. This gives you an opportunity to learn, grow, and have fun and fellowship at no monetary expense to you. To Gods’ Glory, we will embrace His mission work making mission quilts that go around the world to those in severe need. Thanks to all who support this ministry.
Sunday Fellowship Refreshments
Judy and Howard Laflin chair our Fellowship time. Directions for making coffee and other Fellowship Hour items are listed on the inside of the far left cupboard door. WELCA circles serve and clean on second and fourth Sundays of each month. Other volunteers are welcome! Please call the Laflins at 260-367-2292 and let them know what you would like to do.
Calvary regularly officiates weddings for members or immediate family of members. Weddings for non-members will be officiated at the discretion of the pastor.